Review: Trial by Fire by Josephine Angelini

11:52 AM Unknown 0 Comments

Rating: 3 stars
Publisher/ date: Feiwel & Friends/ September 2, 2014
Word rating: Too much convenience. 
This world is trying to kill Lily Proctor. Her life-threatening allergies keep her from enjoying experiences that others in her hometown of Salem take for granted, which is why she is determined to enjoy her first high school party with her best friend and longtime crush, Tristan. But after a humiliating incident in front of half her graduating class, Lily wishes she could just disappear.

Suddenly, Lily is in a different Salem—one overrun with horrifying creatures and ruled by powerful women called Crucibles. Strongest and cruelest of them all is Lillian . . . Lily's other self in this alternate universe.

What makes Lily weak at home is what makes her extraordinary in New Salem. In this confusing world, Lily is torn between responsibilities she can't hope to shoulder alone and a love she never expected.

I saw many positive reviews from bloggers that I seem to share tastes with, and so when I wasn't really enjoying this more than halfway into the book, my thought process started going like what is wrong with me why don't I like this I should be liking this.
The plot was actually fairly engaging and fast-paced, meaning I was able to read this book in only two or three sittings.

The fantasy world, while confusing, was built well. I especially liked the unique concept of magic, and how the author stayed away from spells and instead went for the transmutation and witches being "crucibles" route, and I really liked the setting. I know the elements of sci-fi weren't everyone's cup of tea, but I thought they worked pretty well. I liked the weird creatures. I liked the atmosphere.

But even while liking the world, and zooming through the novel fairly quick, the characters and some points of the plot bothered me too much for me to really love it.

Lily is, despite what the first few chapters might have you think, at least 75% a Mary Sue.

She is frail and allergic to everything in her own world, a kid who pretty much needs to bathe in hand sanitizer every few hours just so she won't die. However, as soon as we move into the alternate universe Salem, Lily's illnesses disappear and what's left behind is a perfect girl.

Lily has a "beautiful face" (maybe not the exact quote but pretty close) by her own admission, although, oh no, she's too thin. She has "rebellious hair" (that is a direct quote) that is crimson and untameable, but of course, that only adds to her unique beauty. Despite being ostracized in school by pretty much everyone, she is dating the perfect guy, Tristan, that all girls want but gasp he still loves Lily.

In the other Salem, Lily becomes a super-duper powerful witch with no effort. With seriously absolutely no effort. She literally attempts the greatest feat some of the best witches who have trained for years have not been able to pull off, and pulls it off with only superficial injuries.

(And this super great feat that she pulls off only leads into pulling off another super great feat which is considered impossible. So yeah, there's the development of our MC's powers.)

The romance was completely unnecessary and kind of uncomfortable.

I don't think it's a spoiler if I say that Lily and Rowan fall in ~instalove~ maybe less than halfway through the book. This is despite the fact that Rowan was previously involved with Lily's alternate self Lillian. There is also a love triangle (albeit, it doesn't have a huge presence, so it wasn't as bothersome as it could have been) with Rowan's handsome friend Tristan - yes, the alternate of the one who loved Lily in her Salem.

I'll probably read the second book, and if the second book makes up for what went wrong in this book (which I can see happening), this could really be a kickass aeries.

0 comments: